Thursday, January 22, 2015

Saks Fifth Avenue PR Problem

WARNING: If you have no interest in business or Public Relations, you will NOT enjoy reading this post. Instead, you can just go shopping here. (A 75% off sale, whaaaat!?)

You guys, I know that it's been over a week since I've posted an outfit about Old Hollywood. And I'm sorry! I tried to do one yesterday, I really did. But I figure I can write other stuff on my blog too, right?

If you've been following me or if you know me at all, you may know that this is the first semester that I actually like my classes. NOT THAT I DIDN'T LIKE THEM BEFORE, but these ones are more involved in what I am interested in.

One, in particular, is called PR Principles and Practices. It's a lot of reading and discussions. But one thing we do is write a blog post every week about something going on in the PR world and we discuss it. Mine is here.

It's not necessarily an exciting blog, so I apologize for not wowing you with amazing content or a creative design. I really just have it for my classes. This blog right here is my real passion.

However, today I discussed a PR problem in one of my favorite companies: Saks Fifth Avenue.


The gist of the situation is this: Saks Fifth Avenue is being sued by a transgender woman for firing her on the grounds of sex discrimination. The owner made an extremely insensitive comment by saying that "transexuals are not a protected class." Now, he is backtracking and saying that Saks supports the LGBT community.

You guys, I LOVE Saks Fifth Avenue. The brand is about luxury and class and elegance. That is why is it such a shame that this happened. 

They are going to need some serious PR to clean this up. Not because Saks is a bad brand that doesn't support its employees, but this is an unfortunate situation in a specific Saks location. The CEO also needs to be informed that the company's reputation is the most important thing. 

I think if I were working on the PR Team for Saks, I would probably have the brand implement some stricter rules regarding tolerance toward the LGBT community. I'd also have the CEO make some more statements about how the company regrets that this incident happened.

I'm sure there is a lot more that could be done, but I'm still learning. It's only about three weeks into the semester, after all.

I'm probably going to keep you guys posted on this. I'll let you know how it resolves.

xoxo
Miranda

No comments:

Post a Comment